Saturday, March 14, 2009

Roseville Galleria Bear Store




For a few aficionados who read my blog ... Sorry for the long absence!
So ... Where were we? Ah yes! Melbourne: the city non-Australian to excellence! After a month and ten days spent in the Australian capital of Europe, my head starts to think and think and think, "Well, Melbourne was not thrilled me much ..." I'm working only on weekends ... "My account bank starts to cry ... "And on March 8, I have to leave the house" ... "Laura, you make a decision: either you are looking for another job and get settled here for a while 'or the parties for another adventure." According to you what I chose?! Of course, once you change, change place, change jobs, go to discover new horizons in my mind that will be saved in the "Australia".
Money are not many to travel, go to another city and try to work in hospitality, and so are almost forced to choose "life as a peasant" Well ... yes, the farm is waiting for me! It 'the only way to work for a short time and be able to earn very well (if you're lucky!). And so, after countless searches on the internet and several phone calls to finally find a job here in a farm figs: figs are waiting for me!
in Melbourne last night with my flatmates: Sangria and Mexican food ... Delicious! I will miss everyone, especially Josef with his English lessons and his infinite patience ... How much I love him! I miss the time I spent with him doing nothing, watching the TV or drinking beer or just look into my eyes and let everything happen in a way so natural. Yes, I think I will miss him a lot and definitely my stay in Melbourne was infinitely sweet thanks to him.
Anyway ... In my hand a train ticket assigned Mildura, the name of the country where I am. After 7 hours of travel in the middle of nowhere, finally arriving in this town on the border between the state of Victoria and New South Wales. I headed to the hostel and the manager proves very nice and helpful: just got to know me two Italian women who reside in the hostel. I settle into my room, have dinner and go straight to bed, the alarm will sound at 5 am tomorrow morning!
The work seems to be quite simple: I pick the ripe figs and place them in a polystyrene container. It's okay, if it were not for the fact that my partner is quite slow and there is a supervisor breathing down his neck and continues to repeat that we have to be faster ... After ten hours of work fatigue begins to be felt ... But the supervisor is heard! "You have to be faster!" If not we will be working as quickly as the farmer will pay half ... Shit! This is the disadvantage of working in pairs: if one party loses is slow to work the other also, because at the end of the day counting the filled boxes will still be lower than the average ... Fuck! However, the work is not tiring at all, at least this! Not even be compared to onions Gatton!
The following days I try to work at the speed of light, but my partner does not seem to do the same ... It is a fact that right now I still see my first paycheck, but I sincerely hope that the supervisor has noticed that my work is the average of the other pickers
... After three days to collect the figs in the farm owner asks me if I want to change the type of work ... In fact, it was not so much a question as a statement! From Tomorrow will be my job "weeding"! What the hell does "weeding "?!?! Those who read the blog my sister also has perhaps already heard! In practice I have to rip the weeds that grow near the fruit trees ... Ok, it seems difficult, at least I can work by myself! ... It is not difficult ... But it is simply exhausting! All day with his back bent, kneeling on all fours, squatting position after 5-6 hours ... Any become the world's most uncomfortable ... Help! The pay should be relatively good (but not commensurate with concussion !!!), but as I said before, my first paycheck will arrive in days ...
After a week of rest the day finally arrives ... Day off! Never before that day, I thanked him that someone who invented the bed!
I have no idea what I will stay here to work in farm ... The idea is to be able to save a bit 'and then move again, perhaps on the West Coast with my sister, cool! Meanwhile, I try to think positive ... Even if my body will be wondering why I want so bad! In any case, the guys who work with me to farm and even those who live here are nice hostel, I feel good! There is a Nepali boy who is here in the hostel and working in the farm for a year ... I think I can never figure out how to do it! For the past few days have also arrived two girls Empoli and I swear that make me cry with laughter! They do not speak half a word of English but are taking this adventure in the best way possible: speak Italian at all (which obviously does not understand anything!), No shame at all and try to make themselves understood in some way, with their delicious Tuscan accent ! Maremma pig!
We'll update soon on how many figs I have collected or how many weeds I pulled ... I believe my days will be quite repetitive from now on! See ya soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment