Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Any Alternative To Grecian Formula

Revision mechanics to Sphinx

I knew that sooner or later I would "put his hands " inside the Sphinx.
not just to see how it is made (very good) but because, all the mechanisms, in particular, those of accuracy as an equatorial mount, you must periodically make a minimum of maintenance.
Lately, I noticed that when the outside temperature is around zero, does not work well autoguiding.
The need to verify the coupling screw-crown-greasing and games operation has become more evident during the last exit Vaccera about midnight when they are no longer able to autoguiding shooting. So yesterday I packed
-checked and lubricated where necessary, and in fact I noticed the excessive hardening of the axis of DEC.
E 'enough to loosen the locking nut and add a few drops of unblocking in the right way to free the axle.
The mechanical construction is done as it should and can do without a proper maintenance problems, obviously one must be able to do it, without ruining or worse, but fortunately I have a good familiarity with the mechanics of precision for which I it is difficult to maintain when serves.
That evening I checked the balcony for self-guided four times on four different targets dell'autoguida after calibration.
The result was positive in the sense that now the maximum driving RMS error is equal to 0.001 ASEC and sometimes even less!
The test is not to be considered definitive because the outside temperature was 13 °, usually operating at temperatures below freezing, but I am sure that even in those conditions will be fine for at least a year.
I was reluctant at first to dismantle the frame, but reading here and there on the internet I noticed that a number of amateur astronomers complained too tight clamping of the axes but today it is necessary to restore the best frame. During
disassembly I was able to verify the veracity of this fact, however annoying not exactly cheap given the cost of the frame.
The disassembling of the parts is easy, requiring no special tools except a set of Allen wrenches of various sizes, a little fat (preferably lithium) and an hour of free time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment